It has been over two years since our dossier was filed in China. A lot has happened in those two years. Five months after our dossier was filed, we found out we were expecting. Nine months later, we received the most amazing blessing, Bennett. We have watched Bennett grow from a 5lb baby to a 23lb toddler, talk, and now walk. We know what it means to be parents - our needs are last, sleep is a luxury, Bennett' schedule determines the daily routine, etc.
Now that Bennett is a year old, we have began exploring our adoption path again. We discussed pursuing a waiting child. I had some reservations. Is it fair to Bennett at this age. Can we handle it? What will our family be like? Is this God's plan? I started praying for God's guidance and for Him to give me a peace. In thinking and talking about it originally, I would experience some anxiety. I remember the day, God said He would not give me more than I could handle and would equip me for what He had planned for me. An indescribable peace came over me in the decision we should make.
What does pursuing a waiting child mean? I had those same questions. The first step is to complete the medical checklist form. There is a list of health issues and we select yes/no/maybe. I have heard of some of the items on the list, but many I did not have a clue about. I contacted the International Adoption Clinic in Birmingham. Kevin and I had a phone consultation with a pediatrician to go over this issues on this list. The phone consultation was great. She really was knowledgeable and went over all the issues and challenges each health issue entailed. From that consultation, it was not difficult for us to know what we were willing to accept. Although I know I would not have any issues loving whatever child we received, we know that for our two parent working family that we cannot accept a child that would require constant care.
The next week I sent our medical checklist to CCAI. Since then I have contacted CCAI and AGAPE to see the next steps are to get our paperwork updated. I think the easy part was deciding to pursue a waiting child. We will have to go through the home study process again. We have kept our fingerprint clearances up-to-date so that is good news. We have a lot of paperwork to pull together and then we can schedule our home study. So pray that I can find time now with a toddler and working to get all this completed.
Besides the paperwork process, we have to prepare that we will be bringing home our daughter sooner than later. The estimated time is between 6 to 12 months. Before having Bennett that would cause panic, but I have some things already and know what we will need.
Please pray for us as we go through this process, pray for our future daughter, and pray for Bennett as he will have to adjust to being a sibling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I got chills! We are praying for your family because we feel the same things you feel. We cannot wait to watch and experience with you the new and exciting as well as the hard and trying. Not only will we be there with you every step pf the way but you know as well as we do that so will our God!
ReplyDelete